[osg-users] PagedLOD preprocessing

PCJohn peciva at fit.vutbr.cz
Tue Sep 11 00:05:57 PDT 2007

Paul Martz napsal(a):
> [...] The naïve approach -- just let OSG load it -- appears to cause a
> guaranteed frame rate hit.
>
> I imagine you could break the texture up into smaller chunks and let OSG
> page each in incrementally as it comes into range.

Yes, breaking the texture into the smaller ones looks like necessary.
I made already some measurements of glTexImage2D.

32	0,04	0,52
64	0,06	0,61
128	0,17	0,82
256	0,42	1,6
512	1,8	4,8
1024	11,3	17,9
2048	42	69
4096	170	6500

The first column is texture size, second time in milliseconds for GF
6600 and the last column is time for ATI 1950.
You may notice driver "bug" for 4096 ATI textures.

Anyway, loading a large scene for preprocessing seems not trivial -
hacks to OSG plugin will be probably necessary.

John