[osg-users] Problem with makeCurrent implementation in osgViewer

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 07:48:13 PDT 2007

On 9/10/07, Roger James <roger at beardandsandals.co.uk> wrote:
> I flagged this up because it seems rather a bold assumption to make that a
> single instance of an osgViewer object is in control of all the OpenGL
> rendering contexts that might be in use by an application. Am I correct in
> my assumption that an application uses more than one osgViewer object will
> also suffer from the same problems.

osgViewer::Viewer makes no such bold assumptions.  You can handle a
range of graphics contexts across a range of views/viewers from a
range of graphics threads - as long as you play be the rules.

However, it does make an assumption that you have separate threads
that are grabbing the context from the existing graphics threads -
i.e. if you don't play be the rules then things will come unstuck.

I don't know the source of your problem, the existing osgviewerWX
works fine, as to what you've done different I don't have time to
reproduce all things myself.  If there are areas in osgViewer::Viewer
that could be changed to help you particular usage/misusage style then
I'm open to suggests of changes - perhaps a method to say that the
graphics context has been taken by another thread would be sufficient.