[osg-users] PagedLOD preprocessing

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 03:49:50 PDT 2007

Hi John,

On 9/10/07, PCJohn <peciva at fit.vutbr.cz> wrote:
> Is there a chance to preprocess scene by OSG to use PagedLOD?

Yes, but you'll need to write the database conversion yourself.  The
osgpagelod example may help a bit as this converts LODs to PagedLODs.

> The scene contains 3GB of textures (or any higher number).
> My idea was to make PagedLOD scene that would load high-resolution
> textures only for the most close scene parts to the camera.

3GB is not overly large, and the reason for PageLOD existance is
helping handle this and much large scenes.

> The problem is clear: OSG would probably freeze the computer during
> preprocessing when loading all the textures. In Inventor, it seemd
> simple: just to override the texture type and make the implementation
> not to load texture data. Any chance for solution in OSG?

There every chance of a solution in the OSG, first up you load the
data, for instance do it incrementally, and then to generate the LOD
levels as required.  This is a tasks for you to work out though - the
OSG is a scene graph rather than a modelling tool.