[osg-users] Particle Sorting

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 10:47:21 PDT 2007

Hi Guys,

I've haven't dived into the thread so far as I don't really have much wisdom
to add.  Particles aren't sorted due to the large cost  involved in doing
the sort.  Having all particles from different particle systems would add
further high level management complexities to the CPU overhead issue.  This
all makes it an awkward issue to crack easily - there isn't some magic wand
that one can wave to make it all just work.

As Zach's suggested you can use render bins to layer things in the order you
want, but this can only help fudge a better result in certain situations, it
really is no substitute for proper per particle sorting.

W.r.t finding a better solution one will have to start managing the separate
particle systems in a more unified way, perhaps placing lots of separate
particles into a single particle pool that gets sorted per camera.  Perhaps
fine grained sorting isn't required, perhaps one can just have a coarse
grained spatial binning.  No doubt one could come up with lots of different
schemes that might work better, but all will add complexity, and one would
have to be careful not to break the threading and multiple camera/context
ability.