[osg-users] Polygon sorting

Michele Bosi michele.bosi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 03:19:37 PDT 2007

Thanks guys,
I am still trying to find a way to sort real polygons since
performance in my case are not the main concern. Theoretically it
shouldn't be difficult at all (to do it for one single geometry) I
just need an hook that tells me "hey your geometry is going to be
drawn using this matrices/camera". I am not sure if node callbacks can
be used for this, then I would create a special Geode that sorts the
polygons of its Geometry objects. From Geode I can retrieve the local
to world transform, then to get the view transform I have to track the
camera object somehow.

If this doesn't work I will try subdividing the mesh in small blocks
each going in a different geometry so that OSG can sort them. The
result won't be spectacular but better than nothing.

Joachim:
My isosurface represent chemical energy fields so they can be quite
messy. Unfortunately I have to rely on conservative OpenGL features
for compatibility issues otherwise that would be the preferred way to
go also for the quality of the results.

Thanks,
Mike