[osg-users] osg::Image::scaleImage in a windowless app

Paul Speed pspeed at progeeks.com
Wed Sep 5 21:26:35 PDT 2007

Jean-Sébastien Guay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently working on a (hopefully) simple app which reads images,
> does some tiling, conversions and resizing and then writes out the
> resulting image(s). This app does not have (nor should it have) a
> window. But it does need to use osg::Image::scaleImage(...) which
> requires an OpenGL context because it uses gluScaleImage(...).
>
> Reading the mailing list archives, I found this:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.openscenegraph.user/16290
> In this thread, Robert suggests creating a pbuffer and destroying it
> afterwards. I would appreciate some pointers on how to do this, as I
> have no idea where to start. I'm currently working on Windows, but it
> would obviously be nice if I could keep this platform-independent if
> possible.
>
> I know the OSG is meant to be a 3D visualization API, but it seemed to
> have all I needed to do what I wanted to do, and I know it pretty
> well, so why not use it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> J-S

I hate to be "one of those guys" but I will say that I've routinely
written similar applications in Java.  Usually just one-offs because
they are so easy.  Depending on the types of images your are reading and
writing it can be quite trivial.  Though, if you don't know Java that
well I suppose you might break even with trying to figure out how to get
OSG+OpenGL to do this for you versus learning the Java needed.

[insert every other language with a built-in imaging API here]
-Paul