[osg-users] Graphs...

Serge Lages serge.lages at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 04:31:29 PDT 2007

On 9/4/07, neil.hughes at tesco.net <neil.hughes at tesco.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone ever tried to generate 3D graphs using OSG ?
>
> Essentially I've been asked to produce a library that will generate 3D
> graphs - axis, datasets, labels etc. - that can be interrogated (spun) in
> 3D.
>
> Has anyone done this before, and if so, would you be willing to let me
> have the code, or at least some pointers (no pun)?
>
> Many thanks

Hi Neil,

I havn't made any 3D graph but recently I have done 2D graphs using Cairo
and integrating it with OSG. It was really simple to develop, and making
them in 3D should not be a lot different, instead of draw_lines between 2
points, you just have to manage LINE_STRIP primitives. Thinking to it,
instead of using Cairo I could draw them in 3D and render them into a
texture, maybe for the next version...

The only thing that complicated the work was to dynamically update the axis
with the current min and max values, adding or removing datasets on the fly,
updating it with the current simulation time... But depending on your needs
it can be easy to do.

Cheers,

--
Serge Lages