[osg-users] osgDB::writeNodeFile -- no Options?

Paul Martz pmartz at skew-matrix.com
Wed Sep 19 14:29:19 PDT 2007

Hi Robert -- A couple questions on passing Options into the osgDB read/write
methods.

First, the write methods (e.g., writeNodeFile, writeImageFile, etc) don't
take ReaderWriter::Options as a parameter. Instead, they implicitly pass the
osgDB's _options member variable to the plugin. Is there a design reason for
this to be different from the analogous read interface? Or, more to the
point, if I added Options as a command line parameter to the write methods,
would you reject such a submission for any a priori reason?

Second, looks like the read interface has two methods each for readNodeFile,
readImageFile, etc., one taking Options the other not (and getting it from
the registry). I assume this was done for historical reasons to preserve
backwards compatibility? The non-Options interface was first, and the
interface with Options came along later?

Of course, I'd have to do essentially the same thing if I were to modify the
write interface to take Options.

(Stumbling across all sorts of fun stuff as I try to create this OpenFlight
exporter. :-)

Thanks,

Paul Martz
Skew Matrix Software LLC