[osg-users] RFC: Positional state container in the render bin, was: clip planes

Mathias Fröhlich Mathias.Froehlich at gmx.net
Wed Sep 12 22:34:37 PDT 2007

Robert,

On Tuesday 21 August 2007, Robert Osfield wrote:
> On 8/21/07, Mathias Froehlich <M.Froehlich at science-computing.de> wrote:
> > What is missing then?
>
> You might be on the right track.
>
> > Can you help me?
>
> Well on round of bug fixing right now, so new feature development is
> not something on the cards right now.  Feel free to experiment with
> CullVisitor.cpp/RenderState/Bin.

I played with that.
Attached is a change to rev 7395 osg that moves the positional state container
from the render stage into the render bin.

That means that the scope of such a positional state container like clip nodes
or light nodes is now a render bin and no longer a complete render stage. The
benefit is that you can more easy reuse clip planes or light nodes in
subgraphs of the scenegraph than before.
Before you needed to create a pre or post render camera for that positional
state containers, now we will only need a new render bin.

Given that you can't tell something about the render order in a render bin
this is the smalles sensible scope for positional states.

Can we have something like that?
Comments, whishes?

     Greetings

             Mathias