[osg-users] Particle Sorting

DC Fennell dchristopher at playnet.com
Wed Sep 5 09:20:03 PDT 2007

Hello,

I have several particle systems, which may be close to each other. Unless all particles emitted are grouped and sorted as one bucket, then drawn, I get visual anomalies. For example. If I have 3 smoke stacks (each a separate particle system) close together, and if an explosion occurs in the middle of the smoke stacks, it looks odd, i.e., the smoke effect may appear in front of the explosion instead if intermingled when the smoke overlaps, depending on your view. Running double pass does not help with this. The only solution I can think of is to use one particle system for all effects, then sort back to front.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance