[osg-users] comment on new Depth Peeling example

Joachim E. Vollrath vollrath at vis.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Sep 5 04:53:05 PDT 2007

Hello to all interested in the new depth peeling example,

I was Steffen Frey's advisor at university when he implemented this code
as a course project. I encouraged him to contribute his code and I
thought I might give a short clarification of what the code is supposed
to do.

Basically, what Steffen did, was to implement techniques demonstrated in
the Article "Blueprint Rendering and Sketchy Drawings" by Marc Nienhaus
and Juergen Doellner (Univ. of Potsdam) from the "GPU Gems 2" book.

In other words: his code utilizes the depth peeling algorithm in order
to render models with nothing else than silhouette and crease edges. In
addition it is also possible to perturb these edges to get the visual
appearance of a sketchy drawing.

This (just drawing the edges) is what Steffen meant by "ignoring"
transparency.

If anyone is after transparent rendering of geometry without sorting
triangles, Steffen's contribution might be a good starting point for own
implementations. Basically, one would just have to replace parts of the
shaders.

Cheers,

Joachim

--
Joachim E. Vollrath
University of Stuttgart
mail:  vollrath at vis.uni-stuttgart.de
phone: 49.711.7816.403
fax:   49.711.7816.340

german postal address:
Dipl. Inf. Joachim E. Vollrath
Universitaet Stuttgart, Institutsverbund Informatik
Institut fuer Visualisierung und Interaktive Systeme
Universitaetstrasse 38
70569 Stuttgart
GERMANY