[osg-users] Tutorials

Peter Gebauer peter.gebauer at stockholm.bostream.se
Sat Sep 1 01:16:33 PDT 2007

> In my perception forums will be more scalable if the user community
> grows, because you can not expect every member to follow all discussions
> that are currently happening (or happened if you were on vacation for two
> weeks).

Or you get a decent MUA. Getting an additional login AND having to run a
browser to sift through new threads is inconvenient. ML's are simply more
convenient if you have a wonderfully configured MUA compared to the mucky
web interfaces.

Speaking of web interfaces, a forum is pretty much a mailing list
archive in design, isn't there some web interface for mailing lists that
allows you to browse threads as in a forum? Perhaps you could help out
installing such software so that the community can choose from two
interfaces: SMTP and HTML.

Again, I'll stick with my MUA (mutt) since it has better controls and UI
than any forum web interface I've ever seen. I also pipe my messages
through procmail which has a vast collection of filtering I require.
It is also conveniently started from my shell so I don't have to click
around or use the mouse to partake in OSG discussions. (I rarely even have
the mouse connected)
So you see, a web interface would ruin my perfect setup = not good. :)

/Peter