[osg-users] Getting an OSG/VPB build running on Fedora Core 7

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 08:53:29 PDT 2007

On 10/25/07, Jeremy L. Moles <jeremy at emperorlinux.com> wrote:
> > Should I just give up with Fedora and head back to Kubuntu on this machine?
>
> No! :) Fedora is a great distro, and like we tell all of our customers,
> when comparing Fedora vs. Ubuntu the one thing I always keep coming back
> to is that above all Fedora makes "technically sound" decisions.

Umm... this implies that Kubuntu is made with "technically unsound"
decisions.  Sorry by this type of statement really makes me think of
sales speak.

My experience so far is Kubuntu works out the box far better, and
doesn't have the errors in the packaging that Fedora has.  The menu
layout is more logical, it boots and run faster.  The packaging system
is way way faster.  So Fedora might be "good" from your perspective,
but Kubuntu so far scores better from my experience at this end.

> Now, that isn't to say that Ubuntu isn't "easier" out of the box--it is.
> It's just that Fedora, personally, is a much better system for
> developers.

Curious what aspects makes it better?  Are there essential packages
not available under Ubuntu/Kubuntu that are available under Fedora?
If so I haven't missed them so far.

> I don't have any experience with KDE (I use Gnome, and so do our other
> technicians), but we sell a good number of 64bit Fedora 6's and 7's to
> customers every month who use KDE. Trust me, we know IMMEDIATELY if
> something goes wrong. :) *grin*
>
> When you run:
>
>         # yum install gcc gcc-g++
>
> ...from a konsole, what kind of errors are you getting?

Error: No Package Matching glibc.i686.

This is on x86_64 machine/install so I'd guess that the package
definitions or repository is screwed somewhere.