[osg-users] Getting an OSG/VPB build running on Fedora Core 7

Jeremy L. Moles jeremy at emperorlinux.com
Thu Oct 25 08:07:45 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 15:33 +0100, Robert Osfield wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This morning I downloaded and installed Fedora Core 7 with KDE desktop
> / x86_64.  The installation itself went well, but have been trying to
> install packages using the GUI package tool and it often fails and
> requests that I file a bug report.... I can't even install gcc or g++
> which means I can't install the NVidia drivers, nor compile anything
> of the OSG.
>
> What is others experience?  Is KDE with Fedora flaky?
>
> I've recently install Kubuntu 7.10 on a range of machines here and
> everything except my RAID worked out of the box, and compilers, tools
> and dependencies all installed without errors - I typically have a
> full OSG source build completed, installed in less than half a hour of
> the OS being installed, and most of this is leaving the machine alone
> to downloads and compiles...
>
> Should I just give up with Fedora and head back to Kubuntu on this machine?

No! :) Fedora is a great distro, and like we tell all of our customers,
when comparing Fedora vs. Ubuntu the one thing I always keep coming back
to is that above all Fedora makes "technically sound" decisions. There
have been so many times where I've found Fedora built a package with all
of the options a developer would want and Ubuntu has not, and this makes
it so much easier on us...

Now, that isn't to say that Ubuntu isn't "easier" out of the box--it is.
It's just that Fedora, personally, is a much better system for
developers.

I don't have any experience with KDE (I use Gnome, and so do our other
technicians), but we sell a good number of 64bit Fedora 6's and 7's to
customers every month who use KDE. Trust me, we know IMMEDIATELY if
something goes wrong. :) *grin*

When you run:

	# yum install gcc gcc-g++

...from a konsole, what kind of errors are you getting? If you want you
can send this to me directly, and I'll be glad to help 'ya out... it is,
after all, my profession atm. :)