[osg-users] modelling question - 3DS Max => OSG

Vladimir Shabanov vshabanoff at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 13:27:42 PDT 2007

2007/10/24, sherman wilcox <wilcox.sherman at gmail.com>:
> Hey guys, I've got a few questions related to getting 3DS models to
> display properly in OSG. I'm not a modeller myself, I write software,
> but I'm working with a modeller trying to get some of their work into
> my app.
>
> The objective I'm trying to reach is to import an animated, textured
> model from 3dsmax to OSG with either a Morph Modifier or a Skin Wrap
> Modifier.  A good example would be a flag waving in the wind.
> Ideally, I would like to have good control of textures as well -
> including transparency, specularity, and texture maps...along with the
> ability to animate these features. I've used osgExport with some of
> the models with limited success. Seems that the skin or morph modifier
> isn't exported.
>
> Is what I'm trying to accomplish feasible or reasonable within the
> confines of OSG?

I'm not aware of morphing support in OSG. For skinning only there is
an osgCal nodekit which allows you to use cal3d models in OSG. Not
sure about Skin Wrap, but Skin & Phisique modifiers are ok. There are
3dsmax exporters in cal3d distribution.

The animation of transparency, specularity or texture maps is not
supported in exporter nor osgCal. Probably you can make it by direct
manipulation of state sets.

Also I'm working on more advanced exporter (based on cal3d one) which
contains some bug fixes, exports bumps, normal maps, opacity, and some
other material properties plus it automatically exports all textures
and compress them into .dds format. The my version currently not in
production state, but I can upload it somewhere if you want.