[osg-users] kd-Tree LineIntersection speedUp

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at polymtl.ca
Wed Oct 24 08:31:15 PDT 2007

Hello Adrian,

> i am working on a really general and fast implementation for reduce the
> number of triangles checked against a line in LineSegement Intersection
> Test.
> May question coming up while reviewing the OSG core implementation, i am not
> yet sure how and where i should implement this new feature. The current
> implementation of KD-Tree is quite fast and could be included into the osg
> core. are there some experience in line segement boosting?

I would very much like to use your contribution, however it does not
seem Robert has time to guide you in integrating it for now. It would
therefore be very kind if you could help make it usable without
integrating it into the Core OSG.

The code as it stands does not currently support transforms. Can you
help with that? I have never personally implemented a kd-tree
algorithm, so I do not know where this support of transforms needs to
be put in.

I would really appreciate your help with this since in an example use
case, my current implementation with LineSegmentIntersector takes
about 2 minutes and with your kd-tree it takes about 11 seconds (with
bad results, but still promising).

Thanks in advance,

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay     jean-sebastien.guay at polymtl.ca