[osg-users] kd-Tree LineIntersection speedUp

Robert Osfield robert.osfield at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 02:09:16 PDT 2007

Hi Adrian,

I have had the time to review you submissions yet, but as a general
note, in the past I have tentatively planned to use the osg::Shape
hierarchy to build a much finer grained segmentation of osg::Geometry
- a granularity which is appropriate for ray and other types of
intersection testing.  This could be done a s KD-Tree.

One needn't use osg::Shape though, perhaps a custom data structure for
this type of work might be better.  I'd suggest putting it into the
core though so that tools like osgUtil::IntersectionVisitor and its
associated Intersector classes can all use it.

I have also wondered about the possibility of using a custom
Registry::ReadFileCallback to automatically generate the intersection
data structures.

Robert.