[osg-users] Reading and writing files

James Dickson james.dickson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 07:31:14 PDT 2007

Thank you for the pointers. However I am having some slight difficulty with
path variables in windows such that I can't get any of the plugins to load.

I have the enviroment variables set as follows:

User variables:
PATH = ^otherpaths^;C:\Program Files\OpenSceneGraph\bin
OSG_FILE_PATH = C:\Program Files\OpenSceneGraph\Data

System variables:
PATH = ^otherpaths^;C:\Program Files\OpenSceneGraph\bin
OSG_FILE_PATH = C:\Program Files\OpenSceneGraph\Data

I have built openscenegraph using the debug profile, so all the modules end
with d. Could that be the problem?

Just at the moment i need to copy the assemblies i need from the bin
directory to my debug folder, whereas i thought that they would just be
automatically found. However this does not fix the plugins issue.

Thanks,
James

On 10/11/07, Paul Martz <pmartz at skew-matrix.com> wrote:

>  You'll need to do the following to create your own plugin:
>
> * Create a .dll/.so that uses the naming convention "osgdb_<ext>.dll/.so",
> where <ext> is the extension of the file you support. (You can also use
> extension aliases.)
> * Put your plugin library in a location where OSG can find it. On Windows,
> PATH, and on Linux, LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> * Your library must contain a class that derives from osgDB::ReaderWriter.
> You'll probably want to override readNode() and acceptsExtension().
> * Use the REGISTER_PLUGIN macro in your plugin source code to register
> your plugin with the osgDB. See the header file osgDB/Registry.
>
> As suggested by Serge, take a look at any of the existing plugins for
> examples.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Paul Martz
> *Skew Matrix Software LLC*