[osg-users] Multipassshading in OSG v1.2

Poirier, Guillaume Guillaume.Poirier at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Fri Oct 12 07:06:17 PDT 2007

I've seen a lot of posts lately regarding multi-pass shading. I think
the core osg should probably offer more high level capabilities wrt
shaders. I am attaching some code I've made that works for me to do
what I call "ModelEffects" (multi-pass shaders on models) and "PostEffects"
(multi-pass post-rendering on screen) that work with both Cg and glsl. I am not
a good programmer but this might maybe help some people. I tried to include
some high-level functionality that I thought would be helpful, for example
render scene depth in a 32-bit float buffer or create "PostEffects" with multiple
passes of different render target sizes, for example to perform reduction
on the GPU (obtain buffer min/max values in final 1x1 texture).

The osgFX / osgNV was a good step in the direction of high-level shader constructs
but it did not support glsl and unfortunately the project is on halt.

It would also be interesting to see in the future how shaders could be
combined in a scene graph hierarchy. I've not worked with the nvidia scene
graph but I would be curious to see its multiple shader combination
capabilities. Perhaps this is something that we should investigate...

I would also take a look at Sh that looks very good on the architecture
standpoint and high-level capabilities (http://libsh.org/).

regards,

bill