[osg-users] Reading and writing files

Paul Martz pmartz at skew-matrix.com
Thu Oct 11 10:40:09 PDT 2007

You'll need to do the following to create your own plugin:

* Create a .dll/.so that uses the naming convention "osgdb_<ext>.dll/.so",
where <ext> is the extension of the file you support. (You can also use
extension aliases.)
* Put your plugin library in a location where OSG can find it. On Windows,
PATH, and on Linux, LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
* Your library must contain a class that derives from osgDB::ReaderWriter.
You'll probably want to override readNode() and acceptsExtension().
* Use the REGISTER_PLUGIN macro in your plugin source code to register your
plugin with the osgDB. See the header file osgDB/Registry.

As suggested by Serge, take a look at any of the existing plugins for
examples.

Hope this helps,

Paul Martz
Skew Matrix Software LLC