[osg-users] Searcing for raytracer implementation based on OSG

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at polymtl.ca
Thu Oct 11 07:24:54 PDT 2007

Hello Adrian,

> I currently only do intersection tests as a preprocess, so the fps
> does not depend on the intersection testing. In one case I have a
> scene where I need to do about 4 million intersection tests as a
> preprocess, and this takes about 200 seconds (a little over 3 minutes,
> or about 20000 intersections per second). Of course, the
> IntersectionVisitor uses the bounding sphere/box hierarchy to avoid
> doing ray/tri tests when they are sure to be negative, so it is not
> 20000 ray/tri intersections per second. But that gives you an idea of
> my current situation.

I just tested the same code on a Linux machine I have at school, and
the same scene ran at over 200000 (200k) samples per second instead of
20k... I have no idea what the difference is, I'm investigating, but
the Windows and Linux machines have similar CPU and memory, and both
are release builds, so I did not expect such a difference.

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay     jean-sebastien.guay at polymtl.ca
                         http://whitestar02.webhop.org/