[osg-users] Searcing for raytracer implementation based on OSG

Joachim E. Vollrath vollrath at vis.uni-stuttgart.de
Thu Oct 11 02:40:29 PDT 2007

Hello to all interested in raytacing!

Everyone's talking about optimizations, kD-Trees and stuff...

Does anyone at all have a raytracer that supports everything OSG is able
to model/represent?

I'm talking about multitexturing, terrains, shaders, support for huge
scenes, and all the rest...

I mean, there's absolutely NO POINT in raytracing if you can't reproduce
the exact result (plus global illumination, that is) OSG delivers
natively with OpenGL rasterization!

Personally, I think interfacing to a different rendering backend might
be more promising.

Maybe a translation from the OSG scene description language to Renderman
or PovRay might do the job...

Tobias Münch wrote:
> Hello to all OSG developers.
>
> Does anybody has developed a raytracer based on OSG or OpenGL which is free
> to use on other applications? It is important for me that no changes are
> necessary to the OSG-framework like the raytracer of Amit Ben-David, who
> modified the osg:Vec3f class. I need it for my thesis and unfortunately I
> have not enough time to code one by my own.
>
> best regards, Tobias
>
> p.s.: The source of Ben-Davids raytracer:
> http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~cs234326/projects/GLSLRayTracer/main.htm

Joachim E. Vollrath
University of Stuttgart
Institute for Visualization and Interactive Systems (VIS)
web:   http://www.vis.uni-stuttgart.de/~vollrajm/
mail:  vollrath at vis.uni-stuttgart.de
phone: 49.711.7816.403
fax:   49.711.7816.340

german postal address:
Dipl. Inf. Joachim E. Vollrath
Universitaet Stuttgart, Institutsverbund Informatik
Institut fuer Visualisierung und Interaktive Systeme
Universitaetstrasse 38
70569 Stuttgart
GERMANY