[osg-users] RenderingHint vs binNumber(RenderBinDetails)

Christophe Medard christophe.medard at oktal.fr
Thu Oct 4 06:02:12 PDT 2007

To react to what says Robert, I'm under the impression that renderingHint in
fact isn't used internally, is it ?
Why is there two informations in fact redundant (an order of draw),
renderingHint and binNumber ?

So if I'm correct, things must only be thought of in 'binNumber' terms.
To react to what says Tim, I'm passing through stateset on group nodes
indeed, but I'm not sure to perfecly understand well what you're saying.
Let's take a over simple example, if I have the following three, what will
be the order of draw ?

                                         osg::Group "A"
osg::Group "B"
                                        [binNumber = 8]
dft, so binNumber = 0

                  |                                 |

        osg::Geode "C"             osg::Geode "D"             osg::Geode "E"
        [binNumber = 5]           [binNumber = 1]                  |

                                                                        -----------------------

                                                             osg::Drawable
E0         osg::Drawable E1
                                                         dft, so binNumber =
0        [binNumber = 6]

Is it   B/E0 - D - C - A - E1 ?

Another example, closer to my current purpose test, practical to make multi
pass drawings :

           osg::Group

                   |              osg::Group "B"             osg::Group "C"
                   |               [binNumber = 20]        [binNumber = 30]

          osg::Geode "A"
         [binNumber = 15]

Is it A - B - C ?

I think exploring a concrete example like that clear things. Thanks