[osg-users] running osgversion on Mac, not on console, was RE: Call for feedback : glu.h does itcontain_GLUfuncptr?

Andy Skinner Andy.Skinner at mathworks.com
Tue Oct 2 08:24:45 PDT 2007

No, it was definitely not pre 2.x.  I'd say within the last month.  (The
longest time ago would have been 2.1.5, but I probably built it more
recently.)

But no matter where/when it came in, maybe we can do something about it.
Here's a bit more from our Mac guy:

========================
I set a breakpoint in INIT_Processes before running osgversion, and the
stack trace gives me this:

#0  0x917dc8af in INIT_Processes ()
#1  0x9180cfee in ProcessManagerLazyInitialization ()
#2  0x9180d0d7 in TransformProcessType ()
#3  0x00695535 in
osgViewer::OSXCarbonWindowingSystemInterface::OSXCarbonWindowingSystemIn
terface ()
#4  0x00695684 in
RegisterWindowingSystemInterfaceProxy::RegisterWindowingSystemInterfaceP
roxy ()
#5  0x00697d9a in __static_initialization_and_destruction_0 ()
#6  0x8fe0fcb2 in
__dyld__ZN16ImageLoaderMachO16doInitializationERKN11ImageLoader11LinkCon
textE ()
#7  0x8fe0a1c6 in
__dyld__ZN11ImageLoader23recursiveInitializationERKNS_11LinkContextE ()
#8  0x8fe0a164 in
__dyld__ZN11ImageLoader23recursiveInitializationERKNS_11LinkContextE ()
#9  0x8fe0c646 in
__dyld__ZN11ImageLoader15runInitializersERKNS_11LinkContextE () #10
0x8fe03070 in __dyld__ZN4dyld24initializeMainExecutableEv ()
#11 0x00004c92 in _start ()
#12 0x00004bfd in start ()

So, during static initialization, osgversion is registering the OSG
windowing system interface proxy, whose interface is Carbon-based on
Mac. That code assumes that it is run as a console (UI) application.  It
would be probably best for osgversion to defer this initialization or
avoid it entirely.  On the other hand, if the folks using openscenegraph
want a 64-bit version (WE DO!), they're going to need to replace these
Carbon calls with Cocoa calls anyway, and that would change when the
CGContext session is initialized, possibly avoiding the problem
entirely.

Where would static initialization be bringing in
osgViewer::OSXCarbonWindowingSystemInterface, when all we're doing is
getting version numbers?

andy