[osg-users] Searcing for raytracer implementation based on OSG

Jean-Sébastien Guay jean-sebastien.guay at polymtl.ca
Tue Oct 2 07:17:15 PDT 2007

Hello Adrian,

> I am not yet sure how we should change the osg internal data structure, at
> the moment we store vertices in simple arrays. I feel like to remap them
> into an kd-tree. then the whole scenegraph is organised in a spatial data
> structure.

I agree, something like that would be great. If the goal is just to be
able to take a raytraced screenshot, a kd-tree might be workable, but
if we want to try and get some kind of realtime or quasi-realtime
raytracing going, we'll need something we can rebuild faster than a
kd-tree, or perhaps a kd-tree for anything tagged as STATIC and a BVH
for anything tagged as DYNAMIC...

I've done some raytracing with OSG but I don't have time to implement
anything like that - my thesis is due "as soon as possible" :-)  So I
just used osgUtil::LineSegmentIntersector out of the box, and as you
might guess the speed is not that great. In a simple scene I get only
about 20k ray/triangle intersections per second.

If there was real interest in something like this, I would be glad to
help with the implementation, but as I see it, it will only be used in
very few cases...

J-S
Jean-Sebastien Guay     jean-sebastien.guay at polymtl.ca
                         http://whitestar02.webhop.org/