[osg-users] Searcing for raytracer implementation based on OSG

Adrian Egli 3dhelp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 03:08:48 PDT 2007

Hi Tobias,

Greate would be to get a RayTracer attached to the OSG scene. With option to
trace or not. Normally OSG won't trace, but if we like to get high quality
screens, we can just turn on the tracing. But i was thinking about this
still more then once. What we should get or what i like to integrate as soon
as i have some hours to analyse the osg core, we should store the triangles,
trianglesfan, ... (GL geometries) in a accelerated spatial data structure,
best kd-Tree like data organisation. Even the intersection test could be
boosted, also futures animations, collision checks and so on, boosting of
depth sorting for transparency pre triangles should become possible.  Also
haptic-rendering could be an option for future application. This integration
would be an essential topic.

I am not yet sure how we should change the osg internal data structure, at
the moment we store vertices in simple arrays. I feel like to remap them
into an kd-tree. then the whole scenegraph is organised in a spatial data
structure.

and the once we have a fast internal data representation, we may are really
close to render the scene no longer as face rendering also ray casted, ray
traced parts would be an futur options. what would be really greate. May we
will get small parts raytraced, others not.

what are others thinking about this topic.

/Adegli