[osg-users] Performance Problems

Shawn Cook sfncook at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 19 15:31:54 PDT 2007

Hi, Trying to do something simple and getting a poor framerate.  I'm sure it's just something I don't know about OSG and need to learn, perhaps you folks can help.  Basically, imagine a camera positioned above a grid with anywhere from 100 to 5000 quads of similar size shuffling around on the 2D plane with the grid.  The position of each of these quads is controlled in real time by a seperate Java app via multicast.

My coworker is working on an identical project in parallel to mine on an identical laptop but is using Cocoa(Mac OS X 10.5) and straight OpenGL.  He is getting a framerate of 100+ frames per second with 500 quads while I cannot get more than 30fps with 500.  That framerate is acceptable, but eventually I would like to do more than just draw quads.  Instead, each quad will be a little "tail" of quads following a "head" around - like tracers or a little snake.  Again, my coworker has done this already and is acheiving a similarly phenominal framerate - If I add just a couple quads my framerate drops.  What's the deal?  At first I was using a single geode, geometry object and vec3array for each quad and was getting an unusable framerate.  When I restructured with a single geode, geometry for the application and one large vec3array for all the quads my framerate got up to where it is now (acceptable, but slow when I add the tracers).

How can I acheive 100+ fps like my friend?

System info:
MacBook Pro 1,1
Windows XP (using Bootcamp)
1MB RAM
2GHz Dual Core
OpenSceneGraph 2.0.0
VRJuggler 2.0.3-1

Also, this is a VRJuggler/OpenSceneGraph application - perhaps if you guys can't help I'll hit up the VRJuggler mailing lists for some help.

Thanks folks,