[osg-users] seamless perspectives with multiple (rotated/translated) osgViewer slaves

Mike Wozniewski mikewoz at sat.qc.ca
Fri Oct 19 09:22:03 PDT 2007

Hi All,

I'm struggling to understand how to properly offset a slave in
osgViewer, and still have the perspectives line up for tiled and
CAVE-like displays.

For example, I have one OSG window to render the "left corner" of a
CAVE. The window has 2 cameras: The "left" camera has a viewport that
covers the left half of the window and is rotated -90 degrees. The
"center" camera has a viewport that covers the right half of the window
and is not rotated.

left camera:
viewer.addSlave(camera.get(), pMatrix,
osg::Matrix::rotate(osg::inDegrees(-90), 0,1,0));

center camera:
viewer.addSlave(camera.get(), pMatrix, osg::Matrix::());

How do I compute the correct pMatrix to ensure that the frustums line up
in a seamless fashion (ie, objects do not disappear or become duplicated)?

Note that through trial and error, I have found a pMatrix that works:
pMatrix = osg::Matrixd::scale( viewportWidthRatio * traits->width /
3150, 1, 1 );

But I don't understand why I have to scale by 3150? It seems that it's
related to the size of the viewport... so in my case my full window
width is 2048, so I have: 0.5 * 2048 / 3150 = 0.325. Why this value?

Also, in case it's important, the master camera is attached to a
NodeTrackerManipulator that I define like this:
    nodeTracker = new osgGA::NodeTrackerManipulator();
    nodeTracker->setTrackerMode(
osgGA::NodeTrackerManipulator::NODE_CENTER_AND_ROTATION );
    nodeTracker->setRotationMode(
osgGA::NodeTrackerManipulator::ELEVATION_AZIM );
    nodeTracker->setHomePosition(osg::Vec3d(0,0,0), osg::Vec3d(0,1,0),
osg::Vec3d(0,0,1));

The other question I have: what if the left view is not rotated, but
planar to the center? ie, the eye looks directly forward through the
center camera, and the left camera shows a translated and thus distorted
view? What is the proper way to set my pMatrix for that? Obviously it's
not just a scaling operation and requires skewing.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
-Mike Wozniewski