[osg-users] OSG blocking on application exit.

Chris Denham c.m.denham at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 01:53:31 PDT 2007

Hi OSGers,
I'm a bit of a newbie to OSG, but I've been developing an application based
on the osgviewerMFC example in OSG2.0 (built using VS2005).
The problem that I discovered with my application (and the unmodified
example) is that once I have loaded in a model (e.g. cow.osg or glider.osg)
the program does not terminate properly. It seems to close, but remains as a
process consuming CPU resource until I manually terminate it using task
manager.
As "a shot in the dark" I guessed the problem might be something to do with
threads, so I added the line:
mViewer->setThreadingModel(osgViewer::Viewer::SingleThreaded);
just before the call to:
mViewer->realize()

This seemed to cure the problem, so just thought someone might find this
info useful.
Why does this problem occur?
What have I lost by setting single threaded mode?
And.. has it been fixed in later versions?

Thanks
Chris D.