[osg-users] Basic memory usage question

John Shearer john.shearer at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue Jul 24 12:47:03 PDT 2007

Bob,

I've just been coincidentally reading the osg quick start guide
(http://www.lulu.com/content/767629  pdf download is free), and it
answers your question

"Applications that make heavy use of texture mapping require tight
control over memory management. The Image object derives from
Referenced, and Texture2D keeps a ref_ptr<> to the Image. During the
first render pass, OSG creates an OpenGL texture object to store the
image data, resulting in two copies of the texture image, one in the
Image object and the other owned by OpenGL. In a simple single-context
rendering scenario, you can reduce memory consumption by configuring the
Texture2D to release its reference to the Image. If the Texture2D is the
only object referencing the Image, this causes OSG to delete the Image
and the memory it occupies.
The
following code demonstrates how to configure Texture2D to release its
reference to the Image object:
// After creating the OpenGL texture object, release the // internal
ref_ptr<Image> (delete the Image).
tex->setUnRefImageDataAfterApply( true );
66 Building a Scene Graph
By default, Texture2D doesn't release its Image reference. This is the
desired behavior in a multi-context rendering scenario if texture
objects aren't shared between the contexts."

That should do it.

John